NEW Livescribe Desktop Version Released – v2

On the weekend Livescribe released version 2.0 (2.033886) of the Livescribe Desktop application. In conjunction with this new version, they also launched the Livescribe app store (post to follow).

NOTE – there are some current problems downloading v2. If you experiencing difficulties please let us know. These problems may persist until the 24th or 25th November

I did manage to download and get a version working on one of my machines and I have to say I’m really impressed.

Here are the points that I think stand out:

• The new look and feel is great – They have really added a lot to the user interface. It feels different – almost crisper. Clearly some work has been done on the back end as it seems to be loading multiple books faster than before.
  • New Search Features – This is a great improvement as it now allows you to nominate how and where you want to search.
  • Multiple Item Delete – this is the stand out addition to the Desktop. The option to now select multiple items and remove them from the Smartpen or the Desktop
  • Proxy Server – this has been a constant issue for many of our customers – so I’m pleased that the app now includes options to configure internet access via a proxy server.
  • Improved Zooming – this is a nice addition – the option to change the zoom when you look at a Livescribe book. It means you can zoom in and out, changing how many pages are displayed.

Overall, I’m giving the new version an 8.5 out of 10.

There are still a few navigation tweaks I think need to be included and some bigger ideas around how the content is organised.

But in the meantime – well done Livescribe team.

This entry was posted in livescribe, New Tools and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to NEW Livescribe Desktop Version Released – v2

1. Chris says:

Do you know where I can obtain a full-installer for LiveScribe Desktop. Not an install program that then downloads from the internet, as my Work Firewall doesn’t allow this.

Thanks

thanks for the comment Chris, I’ll check with the US team and see whether I can get a file for you.

cheers Mr Smartpen

• Harvey Hanson says:

Did you ever find a download, this would be really useful as I am having the same problem, and version 2.02 does not seem to have an offline installer.

Thanks

2. Bruce says:

Re your proxy comment:

Sorry, v2 didn’t fix this at all. What corporate IT uses a proxy server that doesn’t require authentication? No one, that’s who. LS Desktop and Pulse pen are still utterly unusable by anyone in a big company. I am a user from day one (I purchased my pen before hardware was even shipping). This has been a huge problem, for me and many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of other people, for more than a year now. And with the upgrade to v2, the software will not even upload pen data without registration (and will not register because it can’t get through), so is at this point a doorstop. Definitely NOT a job well done, Livescribe.

–Bruce

• Ryan says:

Agreed Bruce! This was purchased for work and now it is worthless to me. Livescribe needs to get their act together… such a great product and yet they alienate a large base of the folks that are more apt to use it. Note to anyone from Livescribe that sees this: Fix the proxy issue, setup a static download link to a full installer for folks and moderate your forums a little will ya!?! (Of course if they aren’t active on their own forums nor reply to customer service e-mails, then they will not see this post.)

3. Alan Brunstad says:

Here it is December 23 and I am still unable to download or “run” the software to upgrade to V2. I am writing this from a different computer, since Livescribe has “taken over” the computer it is installed on and refusing to give it up. Software development seems to be extremely sophomoric. This is a great idea and very useful when it works, but just saying how “neat” something is doesn’t make it work better. I still look forward to being able to use my pen again. Someday soon, I hope.

4. Greg says:

for the Mac user??
    Here are the points that I think stand out:

The new look and feel is great – nothing has changed one bit
    New Search Features – still the same.. type a word and see if it find it
    Multiple Item Delete – i think this was always there, but im not 100% sure.. but this is only to do with items on the pen itself and not the ability of deleting pages from notepads themself like everyone is still waiting for to be able to do
    Proxy Server – cant find anything to do with this in any preference page
    Improved Zooming – same.. this has not changed at all either

the problems that most seemed to have had when going from v1 to v2 are too many.. Livescribe dont seem to add anything that everyone keeps asking for and if they are are taking over a year to do.. nothing seems to be tested well at their end before giving it out to the public to deal with and when it doesnt go right do not give much help for the problem.

After waiting over a year to see what comes of my expensive doodle pen i am taking it back for a refund and still to this day have not to anyone that asks me about the pen given them a reason to get one
    Livescribe seem to be leaning too much towards windows and lagging Mac behind and that included the Mac SDK that is still ‘coming soon’ and has been for possibly the whole year.. funny that since one of the newest posts here in the blog talks about the pen being on Oprah and that the computer used to demo was a Mac

So to just recap.. if you ask little from your pen then this one is for you.. but if you are like me and many others that want more and ask for functionality then better to wait another year to just see where this product will go.. and If you are a mac user just know that currently it seems that the most effort seems to be windows focused and that mac support might just fade out

5. Kris Bates says:

Just got my pen after x-mas and within a couple days there was a 2.0 update for my Mac. Can’t say that the software is flawless, but overall it works as expected.

Just wanted to share my results to balance out the above comments. I’m sure results may vary, but my mac has had no problems with the software so far.

6. sean says:

I need instructions to get the download to work, please help! This level of service is crap!!

As part of the original registration process, you have my email address and have recieved nothing. I bought this to use for my MBA classes, and here I am, why after downloading the program won’t work.

7. Harvey Hanson says:

Hi all, saw this a while ago while I was looking for the offline installer too.
    I finally got someone from LiveScribe support to give me a link so thought this may help someone else out, this link worked as of 06-April-2010 so hopefully won’t change (its version 2.02):

• Elyssa says:

I have recently bought myself a Pulse smartpen but have not been able to use it because I were having trouble downloading the latest online version of the software. The installation file downloads almost to the end and then gives an error.
      Can you please send me a link to download an offline installer for the latest version?
      I would really like to use my pen, but if this matter cannot be resolved I will have to return it.