If you’re not sure about which model Livescribe smartpen is right for you, this blog post will help. Remember: Livescribe DOES NOT release models that necessarily replace earlier models or are better than existing models unless specifically noted at launch.
The easiest way to determine which Livescribe model is right for you is to think about how you want to use the smartpen. These are the typical questions I will ask you if you need advice on which model best suits your needs:
- If you write a lot and need to convert hand written notes into an editable format – I’d recommend the Echo model. Why?
- The Echo model has an optional software program called MyScript for Livescribe. This program works inside Echo Desktop and allows you to convert one or many pages of notes into editable text.
- Livescribe 3 has hand writing conversion built into the mobile app (Livescribe+) BUT in my experience the mobile version isn’t as good as the desktop version.
- If you take shorter notes and won’t really do that much audio recording (i.e. < 2hrs/w) – I’d recommend the Livescribe 3 model. Why?
- Livescribe 3 is ideal for snippets of content – i.e. 1 or 2 paragraphs
- The app allows you to swipe to convert text which can then be used in email, reminders, or sent to cloud services
- If your primary work or study machine is a desktop or laptop (PC or Mac) – I’d recommend the Echo model. Why?
- Content goes from pen and paper into Echo Desktop and you then have your notes or notes and audio locally on your primary work/study computer.
- You simply tap the pen on your notes and the pen will replay the audio that was recorded at that point in time
- You can also replay audio via Echo Desktop
- Your a student and want to capture notes and audio – I’d recommend the Echo model. Why?
- The built in mic on the Echo means in class, all you need with you is pen and paper. Simply tap record and you are instantly taking notes and audio.
- Whilst you can record notes and audio with Livescribe 3, you need to have your companion device with you, with the app open in order to start audio recording
- You use cloud collaboration services like Evernote or OneNote and/or a tablet heavily – I’d recommend Livescribe 3. Why?
- Livescribe 3 allows you to connect the app to your cloud account and either manually or auto-send content from pen and paper into the cloud.
- I personally use Evernote a lot and if I’m taking short notes or working on a plane, I’ll use my Livescribe 3 as I’ll often Bluetooth the content to my iPad and then into Evernote so that its then instantly available wherever else I might be working.
Buying a Smartpen
The process I recommend is as follows:
- Determine which model smartpen will best meet your needs – Echo or Livescribe 3
- Determine whether you need the base model (i.e. 2GB Echo or Livescribe 3 Black), a Smartpen value bundle (scroll down our homepage for more information), or one of the premium editions
- Add your selection to the shopping cart and complete your checkout.
I’ll be updating this blog post from time to time. If you still need help, please contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org.